The Saumur Castle

Fortress during the 13th century under the minority of Saint Louis then residence of the dukes of Anjou, the castle of Saumur overhangs majestically the Loire River. In 1480 Saumur returned to the estates of Louis XI, King of France, following the death of King René, the last duke of Anjou. The site successively became a residence for the town governors, a prison and a munitions depot. The monument houses the municipal museum since 1912.

The monument has been the object of a meticulous restoration campaign. The beautiful pieces from the collections are displayed in the Château and in the Abbatial hall.


vue du chateau de saumur
chateau de saumur
chateau de saumur
le chateau de saumur
For visiting the Château : Office de tourisme de Saumur
and for the shows in july and august : Spectacle au Château